اصطلاحات رایج و کاربردی زبان انگلیسی با رنگها را در این قسمت از مرکز دانلود منابع زبان های خارجی کاردوآنلاین به شما تقدیم می کنیم.
اصطلاحات رایج و کاربردی زبان انگلیسی با رنگها
در پست امروز وب سایت کاردوآنلاین مقاله ای را برای شما در نظر گرفته ایم که حاوی تعداد بی شماری از اصطلاح رایج و کاربردی زبان انگلیسی با رنگ ها می باشد. این مجموعه اصطلاحات می تواند برای تمامی زبان آموزان عزیزی که به این حوزه از زبان انگلیسی علاقهمند هستند بسیار مفید باشد. ضمن مطالعه کردن این مقاله، از شما دعوت میکنیم که از جامع ترین مجموعه آموزش اصطلاحات رایج زبان انگلیسی نیز دیدن بفرمایید.
۳۱٫ To be colourless
Used to describe someone who lacks personality, and is really boring
- It’s really hard to make conversation with her. She’s just really dull and colourless.
۳۲٫ Off colour
When someone is not feeling their best, quite ill or uneasy
- He’s been really off colour for the past few days, I think I might have to take him to the doctor.
۳۳٫ To give/lend colour to
To help make a story or an explanation more credible and easier to believe, or accompany something
- The broken window and missing items lent colour to her story that someone had robbed her house.
- The music in the play helped to lend colour to the performance of the actors.
۳۴٫ Sail under false colours
To pretend to be something that one is not
- Our team leader seems to be sailing under false colours, I don’t think he really understands what he’s supposed to be doing!”
۳۵٫ Local colour
Used to describe the traditional features of a place that give it its own character
- The weekend vegetable market added much local colour to the small town.
۳۶٫ A highly coloured report
Refers to a report that is exaggerated or has a biased view
- The highly coloured burglary report had to be rewritten when they found out that the police officer who wrote it was a relative of the family.
۳۷٫ See someone’s true colours
To understand someone’s actual character, often for the first time
- I thought I knew her so well, but it was only until I asked her for the money she owed me that I saw her true colours.
۳۹٫ See the colour of someone’s money
To prove that someone has enough money for something
- The antiques dealer wouldn’t let me touch the items I’d agreed to purchase, until he saw the colour of my money.
۴۰٫ Chase rainbows
When someone tries to get or achieve something that is difficult or impossible
- My brother doesn’t think realistically. He’ll never get a decent job if he just chases rainbows all the time.
۴۱٫ To show one’s true colours
To reveal one’s true nature
- When he got so angry at her in front of everybody, he showed his true colours.
۴۲٫ With flying colours
To complete something with great distinction, and excellent results
- I didn’t think she would do so well in the final exam, but she passed it with flying colours!
Used to describe someone or something that is permanent (like wool that is dyed a certain colour)
- My father has always been a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, and I know he will never change.
۴۴٫ To paint in bright/dark colours
To describe something in a flattering (bright) or unflattering (dark) way
- John was struggling financially after moving home, but he painted everything in the brightest colours, and made it look like he was absolutely fine!
- She only painted the venue in dark colours, because she wanted to use it for her wedding, and didn’t want me to book it for my wedding!
۴۵٫ To be kept in the dark
Keeping a secret from someone, shielding the truth
- He kept everyone in the dark about the true extent of his illness.
۷۹٫ The silver screen
A term for the cinema
- Do you fancy going to watch that movie on the silver screen tonight?
۸۰٫ Born with a silver spoon in one’s mouth
Meaning born into a rich family
- I don’t think Kelly has ever had a job. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.
۸۱٫ To be given something on a silver plate/platter
When something is offered to someone whole-heartedly (in a metaphorical sense)
- I offered my heart to him on a silver platter, and he turned it down.
Someone who is seen as a coward or extremely timid
- There is no point in asking him what to do. He is a yellow-bellied coward, and won’t stand up for what is right!
۹۰٫ A yellow streak
Someone who has cowardice in their character
- He has always had a big yellow streak running down his back, don’t expect him to change now!