لیست کامل اصطلاحات زبان انگلیسی با رنگ قرمز (Red) را در این قسمت از مرکز دانلود منابع زبان های خارجی کاردوآنلاین به شما تقدیم می کنیم.
لیست کامل اصطلاحات زبان انگلیسی با رنگ قرمز (Red)
۶۰. To be shown the red card
This derives from football terminology, and means to be dismissed from your job
- The company Accountant was shown the red card, after they found out he was using company money for personal gain.
۶۱. To be in the red
To have an overdraft, be in debt to your bank, or owe an institution some money
- I’ve got three credit card bills to pay off at the moment. I hate being in the red!
۶۲. To be out of the red
To be out of debt
- Our company is finally out of the red now. We’ve managed to pay back our loan, and now we’re making profit!
۶۳. A red flag
A signal that something is not working properly or correctly
- The fallen trees along the road raised a red flag for the safety inspectors.
۶۴. Blood red
Used to describe the deep red colour of something
- She was wearing a beautiful cocktail dress with blood red lipstick to match.
۶۵. Beet red
Also used to describe dark red, usually the colour of a face (derives from beetroot)
- I could see my son up on the stage, his little face was beet red!
۶۶. Red hot
Something new and exciting, creating much demand
- The new video game is red-hot. Some fans have been waiting outside stores for days, to get a hold of them!
۶۷. Red herring
An unimportant matter that misleads everyone and draws attention away from the main subject
- Unfortunately that witness was just a red herring. She had no justification to her story, and it was a waste of valuable time.
۶۸. Catch someone red-handed
To catch someone in the act of committing a crime, or doing something wrong that they shouldn’t be doing
- He kept lying to me about where he was going in the evenings, so yesterday I followed him and caught him red-handed. He was with another woman!
۶۹. Red in the face
To become embarrassed
- I went red in the face when the teacher told me off in front of everyone for arriving late!
A journey that leaves late at night and arrives early in the morning
- We had to catch the red-eye flight last night, and I’m completely exhausted now.
۷۱. Red-letter day
A day that is memorable because of some important event
- The day I graduated was a red-letter day for my mum, she still talks about it today!
۷۲. To look through rose-coloured/tinted spectacles/glasses
When someone sees things in an overly flattering or over-optimistic light
- Sarah doesn’t understand what it’s like for us. She has always seen everything through rose-tinted glasses because her parents spoilt her so much when she was young!
۷۳. To see red
To react with uncontrollable rage against someone or something
- John saw red when he heard someone shouting at his mother.
۷۴. Red tape
The term used for bureaucratic delay, or excessive formalities, and attention to rules and regulations, often resulting in injustice to the ordinary citizen
- I just want to start my own business, but the amount of red tape involved is so frustrating, that it almost makes me want to give up!
۷۵. To see the red light
To recognise approaching danger. The red light is referred to as a danger signal
- The doctor warned me for so many years that I should stop smoking, but I didn’t listen. When I had a minor heart attack last year, I saw the red light and realised that I had to quit smoking, and improve my health.
۷۶. Paint the town red
To go out and have a really good time at a party
- I’ve managed to get a babysitter for this weekend. Let’s go and paint the town red!
۷۷. Roll out the red carpet
To greet a person with great respect, and give them a big, warm welcome
- When Barack Obama came to visit our school, we rolled out the red carpet for him.
۷۸. Red-carpet treatment
(Similar to the one above) To receive special or royal treatment, and be received with a big, warm welcome
- My aunt always gives us the red-carpet treatment when we go to visit her.